Monday, December 31, 2012

Using other kernels with DSIXDA's kitchen

I love using modified kernels, if they support swap partition, overclocking, etc. They may unleash the beast inside my phone.

But, instead of compiling kernel myself which probably may destabilize your phone/device, I prefer to use a stable kernel from another popular ROM which is compatible with my phone/device. That popular kernel will be the core of my new ROM built with DSIXDA's kitchen.


Actually there are 3 methods to achieve this. But, I prefer to use method which copy the kernel only.

  1. You should be using kitchen while doing this. Since you're building a customized ROM.
  2. Go to Advanced Option, select the option "Tools for boot image" and choose 'a' to extract boot.img from any folder.
  3. Place your NEW boot.img (the boot.img of the popular ROM saved using CWM) inside this folder so that you can extract the kernel (zImage).
  4. Now, choose 'w' to unpack existing boot.img from your working folder. This will create a BOOT-EXTRACTED folder.
  5. Copy the zImage (from the NEW boot.img) to the BOOT-EXTRACTED folder manually (using cp command or probably mouse)
  6. Select choose 'b' to build boot.img from BOOT-EXTRACTED folder (Repack)
  7. Your working folder's boot.img will now have the new kernel.
  8. Follow the previous section if you still need to copy over the module files, if they are included in the package
Enjoy the new kernel!


References:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7628768&postcount=1664

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

instead of compiling kernel myself which probably may destabilize your phone/device, I prefer to use a stable kernel from another popular ROM which is compatible with my phone/device. Hipnoterapi Jakarta